Monday, May 26, 2014

Day 9: When is The Best Time to Relive your Likable Failures?

So this is my actual first post on this blog about my missteps.  I'm writing here because I might as well.  There's more space here than Facebook.  So I won't be those long FB posts.

Well, here goes:


I've never thought of myself as a good writer.  I always have grammar, and spelling errors whenever I write.  I also never have any patience for the creation process.  First draft in 15 minutes or less.  I'm not really ambitious or social -- which are big detriments to a writer.

However, my strength, I feel, has been my work ethic.  I know how to organize, schedule, review, and retool.


On the left is a spreadsheet of all my poems that I made the last two days.  All of them are separated by tier 1, tier 2, and tier 3.  As stated in an earlier post:


  1. Tier 1 - Published or Recognized poems (32 Poems)
  2. Tier 2 - Not Published or recognized poems, but poems that made me feel something (106)
  3. Tier 3 - Not Published or recognized poems, I feel these poems have problems in which would take too much time one way or the other. (177)


I went through all my tier 3 poems yesterday and some of today -- all 177 of them.  Some I knew what the problems were -- others were on the fence, but ultimately I made a choice.  Here are some of the reasons why I rejected these poems.


  • Too sentimental -- The emotion in the poem is not earned.
  • Too cheeky -- too much play in the poem to the point of pointlessness.
  • Too overworked -- the most common one, the lines are overwrought, the images are forced, and the allusions are superficial.
  • Too pretentious -- the poems has a high opinion that it can't back up.
  • Too shallow -- pot shots on certain groups, people, ideas, and things just for the sake of hitting something.
  • Nothing stands out -- just a bunch of words on the page -- no real technique or language there that makes me want to come back.
  • Better off as a short story -- the narrative takes over the poem.  If narrative takes over any poem, why not make it into a short story.
I don't believe every piece I make is my baby.  My work is my work. What I send is what I send.  When I receive a rejection, the poem is rejected.  If I receive an acceptance, the poem is accepted, not me.

The reasons behind these actions are out of my control.  My work ethic is just to work to see what happens with no promise of success, and more importantly, failure.




No comments:

Post a Comment