Sunday, April 5, 2015

Five: The Self-Fulfilling Retail Prophecy Part 2

There was no Poetry Center San Jose summer camp for 2014.  I'm not going to focus on the reason why, but it just didn't happen.  I didn't have the time to make it happen.  At this point, I was going to graduate with my AA/Certificate in Legal Studies (yes, I was deferring my loan by taking Community College classes for that long).  and I needed to find a full time job, but, me being me, really just wanted a stable part time job and continue doing events for Poetry Center San Jose.

Now, my teaching job was and still is not a stable job -- hours are scarce because of cancellations, seasons affect student sign ups, cities don't have a budget for classes -- these slight disappointments I got used to.  For the Spring of 2014, I only get two classes on the weekend which were cancelled leaving me with nothing.  Perfect timing to find another job.

So I go interviewing at places -- all teaching -- and was starting to apply for Paralegal jobs when my boss calls me in for an interview for a stable part time job.

I dodged many times.

Not because I wasn't interested, but I was busy -- doing things like Authorial Intrusion -- which was a reading series I set up at the Billy DeFrank Center, taking my final courses for my AA/certificate, applying to places, going on other interviews.

Finally, I just had the time and did the interview.

I told my boss that I helped start a summer camp.  I thought nothing of it -- people start summer camps every fall. 

My boss wanted to hire me to do marketing.  But I was hesitant at first.  I have no experience marketing and all my experience is in event coordination.  So we left it at that.

One night,  my boss calls me in and says I'm hired -- to which I decline at first.  I asked to talk to him face to face 

So our second meeting we talked and this is what he said to me (paraphrased):

"Darrell, you do all these things for the community, but what has the community done for you?  It's nice to be helpful, but being helpful doesn't pay your bills.  They are using you Darrell.  They are using your time and are not paying you.  At least here you will be paid.  You deserve to be paid."

I took the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment