Sunday, April 19, 2015

Nineteen: The Original Dream Part 1

I have a dual screen set-up next to me.  On the main screen is this blog, but on the left screen I'm watching a video game cinematic -- specifically fro Mortal Kombat X.

When I was younger, I wanted to write stories for video games and comic books.  I don't know why.  But I thought it'd be fun and I just wanted to see where the story goes.  No one knew me in middle school, but to anyone who would listen, I would tell them what I writing about.  I still have the notes of the cliche anime plot that I was going to create.

Well, here's the plot.  I guy and a girl that represent elemental specialization (water and fire respectively) are tasked to save the world by finding their peers who also have elemental powers (earth, wind, etc.).  Is this the biggest cliche in Fantasy?

I was influenced by this game called Secret of Mana:



The main characters are indeed a guy and a girl, but there was also a sprite.  So from memory, I can name all the elementals in this picture from left to right: Shade, Dryad, Wynn, Luna, Lumina, Gnome, Undine, Salamander.

Anyway, I played Secret of Mana probably thirty times from beginning to end and I wanted to anthropomorphize the elements.  Well, I didn't know at the time, but looking back it makes sense.

But I was awkward.  I put people I knew (not friends mind you) into the plot.  I'm not a good reader of people, but looking back, it would be pretty horrifying if someone told me that he/she put me in their fantastical story.

Cognitive distortion -- how do people write for video games?  Back then, I thought a person majored in English and there'd be jobs for video game writers.  I applied for a couple of jobs for a video game writer after I graduated.  But I'm guessing my knowledge of Poetry doesn't help with this endeavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment