Thursday, April 16, 2015

Sixteen: Full-Time Poet

I don't know what this means, but I know this is a dream of many -- being paid to write poems, do readings, be asked about your opinion about poetry, promote poetry.

I told the professor (for those who don't know, it's the term I use to talk about Alan when I talk about college) that I probably wouldn't make it as a full-time poet.  I'm not too sure of the reasons, but I think it went something like this:

1) How detached from reality I'd become if I focused too much on poetry.

Well, that's actually happened already without me being a full-time poet.  I assume people are a certain way rather than see or ask how they are doing.  It's easier I suppose.

2) Why be placed on a pedestal for an art form -- paragon perhaps?  Or on the other spectrum, be mocked secretly or directly about your style?

Hmm, why would this be a problem?  I don't think people can change what people think about them or their work.  This is something I realized from this blogging exercise actually.  Of course, I can control how I present the content or the subjects I choose, but insight is something that cannot be changed.

3) Wouldn't working on something you love 8 hours a day for 5 days a week get old?

Probably, but everything gets old I suppose.  I'm currently working at my first 40 hour work week job and I like it.  Time goes by fast, but this is also the problem.  It's been four years since I graduated and not even close to a collection.  I'm pretty sure someone who takes poetry as a full-time endeavor would be published at this moment.

I wonder sometimes if I should care -- a constant negligence I do.





No comments:

Post a Comment