Friday, April 10, 2015

Ten: More Fears Than Freedom

Poetry as a therapeutic experience to release stress and emotion.  A mastubatory experience.  And I want someone to buy it?  Like some exhibitionist showing off a science fair project.  Yes, this is how a volcano explodes through the compression of lava.

Actually, to make sense now, I have more fears about poetry than actual freedom.  No one in school tells you that you have to market yourself or be forgotten; furthermore, no one tells you that the best bet you have to be recognized is to have an angle.  L=A=N=G=U=A=G=E poets, confessionalist poets, image poets.

I'm scared about being the "minority" poet even though I'm a minority.  

The Asian poet.  The poor poet. The gay poet.  Well, I think that's it.

But aren't poets are a minority in general though.? I mean, I don't walk down the street and be like -- look another one of my poetry compatriots.

I woke up this morning in the wake of AWP being miles away thinking to myself how I would do an elevator speech about myself and my work if someone asks.

Are you a poet?

I guess

What do you write about?

Things

Good thing no one asks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment